AZALIA® - Bioequivalent to Cerazette®
- Contains 75μg desogestrel and no oestrogen, exactly the same active ingredient as Cerazette®¹-²
- AZALIA® is GMS Reimbursed
- Oestrogen-free progestogen-only contraceptive pill¹
- Indicated for the prevention of pregnancy in women who elect to use an oral contraceptive with no oestrogen¹
- Inhibits ovulation and increases the viscosity of the cervical mucus¹
- Reliable, highly effective and well tolerated oral contraceptive when taken correctly¹-⁴
- AZALIA® has a Pearl Index of 0.4¹
- Side effects associated with combined oral contraceptives may be reduced or ameliorated by taking an oestrogen-free pill such as AZALIA®⁴
- In a clinical trial 85–87% of women indicated that they would continue to use 75μg desogestrel at the end of the trial⁴
- AZALIA® has a 12-hour missed pill window¹
- AZALIA® is taken continuously as a 28 day treatment regime¹
Change your desogestrel patients to Azalia® to save them money on their contraceptive prescription³
View pricing comparison with originator brand
AZALIA® is suitable for use in the following patient groups:⁵-⁶
- Women of all ages including breast feeding women
- Women with a BMI of ≥35 kg/m2
- Women who smoke
- Women who experience oestrogen-related side effects on COCs
- Women who suffer from hypertension
- Women with a family history of venous thromboembolism
- Women with endometriosis
1. Azalia® SmPC
2. Cerazette® SmPC
available at www.medicines.ie
3. MIMS Ireland (August 2017) 'Contraception' MPI Media Ltd, Dublin.
4. Ahrendt HJ, Karckt U, Pichl T, et al. The effects of an oestrogen-free, desogestrel-containing oral contraceptive in women with cyclical symptoms: results from
two studies on oestrogen-related symptoms and dysmenorrhoea. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 2007; 12(4): 354–361.
5. WHO Guidelines. Medical Eligibility Criteria for contraceptive use 2015 update.
6. Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health Care (FSRH). UK Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use. UKMEC 2016. London: FSRH, 2016.